Murphy Writing of Stockton University Presents
25th Annual Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway
January 12-15, 2018
Stockton Seaview Hotel, Galloway, NJ (Atlantic City area)
Special Guests: Stephen Dunn & Gregory Pardlo
The Toni Brown Memorial Scholarship celebrates the life of Winter Getaway Poetry Faculty Member Toni Brown and commemorates her untimely death. Funded by our faculty, staff and participants, it offers places for poets or writers age 31 and over to attend the 2018 Getaway.
Recipients may choose from workshops in fiction, memoir, creative nonfiction, poetry and more. In addition to workshops, the three-day conference also offers open mics, tutorials, sunrise yoga, dancing at the Getaway Disco and writerly camaraderie.
This scholarship covers tuition and a double room package (3 nights accommodation in a shared room, 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 1 dinner). The recipient will only need to pay for transportation and other dinners.
Two Second Place Scholarships Available
Each scholarship covers tuition. The recipients will need to pay for a room package, transportation and other dinners.
Toni Brown Memorial Scholarship Application
A panel of judges will review the submissions and make their selections based on a combination of merit and need. Applications will be accepted until Nov. 15, 2017. There is a $5 application fee to help offset the cost of administering the scholarship. Requirements:
- Be a first-time Getaway participant who is 31 or over as of January 12, 2018. (If you are 18 - 30, see our other scholarship option: https://murphywriting.submittable.com)
- Select your first and second choice workshops. See http://wintergetaway.com/workshops-and-tutorials/ for choices.
- Prepare a brief bio, a paragraph describing your financial need and a brief personal statement telling us why you would like to attend the Getaway, each 150 words or less.
- Format a single document with 5 pages of poetry (one poem per page, single spaced) or 5 pages of prose (double spaced). It is up to you whether to submit published or unpublished piece(s). Excerpts of longer pieces are welcome. Please note that if your submission exceeds 5 pages and/or does not meet the formatting guidelines, your application will not be considered.
- Complete this online application with the files above and pay the $5 application fee, which is used to help administer the scholarship process.
- Deadline: November 15, 2017.
- Please note: We are unable to accept snail mail applications.
- Scholarship recipients will be announced on December 20, 2017 on http://wintergetaway.com/registration/writers-conference-scholarships/.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I am applying for a scholarship and am interested in both nonfiction and poetry workshops. Is it possible for me to send a writing sample of both? What do you suggest? I am a poet, but am looking to expand into nonfiction.
A: We can only consider one application per writer and recommend submitting your strongest work. It's fine if your workshop choices are in a different genre than the writing you submit; we hear from a number of writers wanting to expand into a new genre and support it wholeheartedly.
Q: I would like to sign up for the Getaway to make sure I get a seat in my first choice workshop. Is it still possible to apply for a scholarship and will I get a refund if I receive one?
A: Yes, you are absolutely welcome to apply as long as you meet the requirements, and yes, we will give you a refund if you receive a scholarship. Please note the same Fine Print and Cancellation Policy
applies if you need to cancel your registration.
If you have more questions, see our full list of FAQs