Murphy Writing of Stockton University Presents
25th Annual Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway
January 12-15, 2018
Stockton Seaview Hotel, Galloway, NJ (Atlantic City area)
Special Guests: Stephen Dunn & Gregory Pardlo
The Jan-ai Scholarship commemorates the life and untimely death of young writer, poet and photographer, Jennifer Cakert (1980 - 2006). Funded by the Jan-ai Scholarship Fund and Murphy Writing of Stockton University, it offers places for three poets or writers between the ages of 18 - 30 to attend the 2018 Getaway.
Recipients may choose from workshops in fiction, memoir, creative nonfiction, poetry and more. In addition to workshops, the three-day conference also offers open mics, tutorials, sunrise yoga, dancing at the Getaway Disco and writerly camaraderie.
Three Full Scholarships Available
Each scholarship covers tuition and a triple room package (3 nights accommodation in a shared room with 2 other individuals, 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 1 dinner). The recipients will only need to pay for transportation and other dinners.
Jan-ai Scholarship Application
A panel of judges will review the submissions and make their selections based on a combination of merit and need. Applications will be accepted until Nov. 30, 2017. Requirements:
- Be a first-time Getaway participant who is 18 - 30 as of January 12, 2018. (If you are 31 or over, see the Toni Brown Memorial Scholarship option: https://murphywriting.submittable.com)
- Select your first and second choice workshops. See http://wintergetaway.com/workshops-and-tutorials/ for choices.
- Prepare a brief bio, a paragraph describing your financial need and a brief personal statement telling us why you would like to attend the Getaway, each 150 words or less.
- Format a single document with 5 pages of poetry (one poem per page, single spaced) or 5 pages of prose (double spaced). It is up to you whether to submit published or unpublished piece(s). Excerpts of longer pieces are welcome. Please note that if your submission exceeds 5 pages and/or does not meet the formatting guidelines, your application will not be considered.
- Complete this online application with the files above.
- Deadline: November 30, 2017.
- Please note: We are unable to accept snail mail applications.
- Scholarship recipients will be announced on December 20, 2017 on http://wintergetaway.com/registration/writers-conference-scholarships.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I am applying for a scholarship and am interested in both nonfiction and poetry workshops. Is it possible for me to send a writing sample of both? What do you suggest? I am a poet, but am looking to expand into nonfiction.
A: We can only consider one application per writer and recommend submitting your strongest work. It's fine if your workshop choices are in a different genre than the writing you submit; we hear from a number of writers wanting to expand into a new genre and support it wholeheartedly.
Q: I would like to sign up for the Getaway to make sure I get a seat in my first choice workshop. Is it still possible to apply for a scholarship and will I get a refund if I receive one?
A: Yes, you are absolutely welcome to apply as long as you meet the requirements, and yes, we will give you a refund if you receive a scholarship. Please note the same Fine Print and Cancellation Policy
applies if you need to cancel your registration.
If you have more questions, see our full list of FAQs