Murphy Writing of Stockton University Presents
Live Free and Write
August 13-18, 2017
Dexter's Inn, Sunapee, NH
This scholarship offers $500 towards one writer's tuition to attend Live Free and Write in New Hampshire. The recipient will need to pay for the remainder of the tuition and transportation.
Live Free and Write Scholarship Application
A panel of judges will review the submissions and make their selections based on a combination of merit and need. Applications will be accepted until June 8, 2017. There is a $5 application fee to help offset the cost of administering the scholarship. Requirements:
- Be a first-time Live Free and Write participant who is 18 or over as of August 13, 2017.
- Select your preferred workshop. See http://murphywriting.com/nh for choices.
- Prepare a brief bio, a paragraph describing your financial need and a brief personal statement telling us why you would like to attend Live Free and Write, each 150 words or less.
- Format a single document with 5 pages of poetry (one poem per page, single spaced) or 5 pages of prose (double spaced). It is up to you whether to submit published or unpublished piece(s). Excerpts of longer pieces are okay. Please note that if your submission exceeds 5 pages and/or does not meet the formatting guidelines, your application will not be considered.
- Complete this online application with the files above and pay the $5 application fee, which is used to help administer the scholarship process.
- Deadline: June 8, 2017.
- Please note: We are unable to accept snail mail applications.
- Scholarship recipient will be announced on June 27, 2017 on
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I am applying for a scholarship and am interested in both workshops. Is it possible for me to send a writing sample of both? What do you suggest?
A: We can only consider one application per writer and recommend submitting your strongest work. It's fine if your workshop is in a different genre than the writing you submit; we hear from a number of writers wanting to expand into a new genre and support it wholeheartedly.
Q: I would like to sign up for Live Free and Write to make sure I get a seat in my first choice workshop. Is it still possible to apply for a scholarship and will I get a refund if I receive one?