Murphy Writing of Stockton University Presents
One Day Writing Getaways Scholarships
Scholarship Opportunities for Poets and Writers in 2019
Murphy Writing of Stockton University is offering scholarships to our one-day programs for first-time participants. We will select at least one scholarship recipient per program, and notify the recipient approximately 10 days before the program.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis through October 10, 2019. By submitting your application, you are applying for a scholarship for one or more of the following dates.
- Saturday, April 27, 2019 - Writing in the Pines - Galloway, NJ
- Saturday, June 22, 2019 - Shore Thing Writing Getaway - Atlantic City, NJ
- Saturday, September 21, 2019 - Mini Writing Getaway - Atlantic City, NJ
- Saturday, November 2, 2019 - Autumn Writing Getaway - Galloway, NJ
A panel of judges will review the submissions and make their selections based on a combination of merit and need. There is a $2 application fee to help offset the cost of administering the scholarship. Requirements:
- Be a first-time Murphy Writing of Stockton University participant.
- Prepare a brief bio, a paragraph describing your financial need and a brief personal statement telling us why you would like to attend, each 150 words or less.
- Format a single document with 1 poem (single spaced) or 3 pages of prose (double spaced). Excerpts of longer pieces are okay. Please note that if your submission exceeds these lengths and/or does not meet the formatting guidelines, we will not be able to consider it.
- Submit this online application with the files above and pay the $2 application fee, which is used to help offset the administration cost of the scholarship process.
- Please note: We are unable to accept snail mail applications.
- Deadline: Rolling basis, through October 10, 2019. By applying, you indicate you are aware you may be selected to receive a scholarship for any of our one-day programs listed above.
- We will select at least one scholarship recipient per program, and notify the recipient approximately 10 days before the program. In addition to contacting the recipients, we will publish their names on our website, www.stockton.edu/murphywriting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I have to register for the program to apply for a scholarship?
A: No. You are not required to register and pay for the program when applying for a scholarship. If you wish to register before the results are announced because you plan to attend regardless of whether you receive the award, you are more than welcome to do so. Please note the same Fine Print and Cancellation Policy applies if you need to cancel your registration.
Q: I would like to sign up for the program to ensure I get a seat. Is it still possible to apply for the scholarship and will I get a refund if I am selected?
A: Yes, you are absolutely welcome to apply, and we will give you a refund if you receive a scholarship. Please note: the same Fine Print and Cancellation Policy applies if you choose to register and don’t receive a scholarship.
Q: I am a poet, but am looking to expand into nonfiction. Is it possible for me to send a writing sample of both? What do you suggest?
A: We can only consider one application per writer and recommend submitting your strongest work. It's just fine if you submit work in a different genre than you would like to write at the program; we hear from a number of writers who want to expand into a new genre and support it wholeheartedly.
Q: Where can I find out more about the programs?